Should it be necessary, it is important you know what to do in order to result in a painless upgrade. With Drupal, the process is fairly simple, but before we look at it, I should warn you:
[If you are using a theme other than the default, it is possible that your site ] may suffer some unusual effects. It may be best to revert to the default theme before performing an upgrade.
1. Make a backup of your current database so that all the information added by users, as well as any configuration changes you have implemented, are saved.
2. Back up the old les to somewhere else on your filesystem, especially those that have important changes and settings like your stylesheet, altered themes, or the configuration le contained in the sites/default/directory.
3. If you are upgrading on a live site, log in as the site administrator (user number 1) and put the system into Maintenance mode in the Site maintenance section.
4. Unpack all the new files - keeping any site specific les intact in the sites directory (otherwise, you lose all the information built up in the themes and modules directories).
5. Navigate to the Drupal homepage and run the update. php script by accessing it from the browser. For example, the demo site's update page would be http: //localhost/mf4good/update.php. This will bring up a page of notes as follows:
Select updates Atjn wjd-ata:
Drjpsl database update
Use th s utility So upd.itfi vtyur d.^taba» whunnvor . now raloifB ■=■' tirupol ar .1 rtiaduli li-rtilalkd.
Far mum dirjiled inform sunn, fas ota :n^coill jCil-h Jnd updr-admo handbook, tl rcu are unwi wini Lhest lermi me^n «m should pmbdblr tonldu youi ha-i^rg £rqnHid*r-
1 BULK, up vLnJr rfiljilnii a Tfus process database va!:;iS and in ¿iisc qI '■:;:r,ri]i"ricv idu m.ay ci! 1p rflpc* to .1 bjt£.up. ItaLk up yourcadET. HinE *hcri t jik-ng rr.asjlo cado, dp no! I&j^l" th.iL bflUNP in w>b V.oUvies' pr 'sites^ymodulei' (ketones as tfus nsv sonNue DnjpaTi euro-discoverT irithanisiP 3. Put few sii imfl nsirter.s^ce fnode
* InsHM naw fuet m tt>i ¿ppiopiili lotiti<inJ es Oettriid - die hjndbijeV.
Aih.'n you h.ivfl pn-ifarniod U-141 it^p . :L = yi-u rn^v pfpcnacl
6. Read through these notes before clicking the Continue button to ensure you perform all the tasks that may be required.
7. Following on, a list of the possible updates that can be implemented will be displayed:
Drupal database update fllf s Wuuit nl iVi^-ul Wtftfrifl tW" tiHMWl
Traw* ufi a -diiiiwfr «nam, but im* nqt in :k> -xq'1-5ft iii Ant Utc "iKKlaiH prooiii
. r.inr.-.i-r.i modul*:
i l j -JfidKA-fc A* JiAllit
8. Click Update - there should rarely be a reason for making changes to the updates selected. If everything goes well, you should see a list of updates that were performed, along with the status of those operations; something like this:
Drupel dtifcdfoASt updid*
ugOHK ware KuurGt*^. if tu -** m i*>nf*s ft» m*r hAftt-i"
CD EM L'Aljri £tiihrnifcu. puu '""Hir HtM U> updtfy ri» tUWiW*
Mj^MQt AflWNETTiE-Vl Dft^H
Eht iaiiwng querwi vrnc c- TL j&MI
ATI* T4U ¿arfftjaj II ■■¡UiMirwij ■ -3 '^J" WwqH^WTluL
Managing Your Website
From this, you can see that there were a few alterations to the current database to bring it in line with the newer version. More importantly, no errors were reported so we can now take the site out of maintenance mode and continue on as normal. That is, until the next time...
Was this article helpful?