The things you can do to help your search engine rankings are all about the content. The best and most important advice I can give you is to write well. By sticking to your subject and writing relatively short or medium-length articles that stay on topic, written in the language the community uses, you will not only keep your readers interested, but you also will gain ranking for the very keywords your readers will use in their searches.
Still you should bear in mind what measures are important to the search engines:
• Keyword density refers to the ratio of keywords to all text on a page. A high density would indicate the bad practice of keyword stuffing is being employed.
• Keyword proximity refers to how close keywords are to each other. If they are too close, that would again suggest keyword stuffing is being employed.
• Keyword prominence refers to how close keywords are to the start of the page, indicating a measure of the keyword's importance.
• Inbound links are links pointing to the page from an external web site, indicating a measure of the page's popularity.
Each search engine has its own recipe for what its administrators believe is the right mixture of the keyword and link measures. However, here are a few simple guidelines that will help you with all search engine ranking algorithms:
• Move keywords to the start of the <title> tag.
• Use a different <title> tag for each page.
• Structure each page using correct HTML markup (such as <h1>, <h2>, and so on) and write keywords into those tags.
• Write keywords closer to the start of the page.
WordPress is designed to help you achieve the goal of following these guidelines, but what it can't help you with is choosing the keywords and writing compelling posts that someone seeing your web site in a search engine results list would be interested in reading. Write knowl-edgeably about your subject in a natural and interesting way. Otherwise, visitors may be able to find you with a search engine, but then see that you don't have anything interesting to say. Providing the content is up to you!
Was this article helpful?
Discover How To Get Your Sites On Top of The Search Engines So You Can Generate More Leads and Sales, Introducing... SEO Made Easy'. You'll discover why search engine optimization is important and why you should be optimizing are your pages so people can find your site.